Multiple Emmy award-winning celebrity makeup artist Michelle Champagne has painted the famous faces of Cate Blanchett, Cameron Diaz, Ashley Judd, and Kerri Russell, to name just a few. She is known for her extensive work with Regis Philbin and Kelly Ripa on their previous show, in addition to the hundreds of celebrities and performers that were guests of the show. Today, Michelle continues to prepare Kelly daily for the ‘Live with Kelly & Michael’ show. We got to talk with this celebrated beauty connoisseur to learn everything about makeup-musts to her take on trends. Check it out:
Sigma: What are your favorite Sigma products and why?
- The B05 - Extravaganza Body brush is beyond amazing! It quickly and beautifully buffs bronzer/shimmer onto the décolletage, shoulders, and legs for a subtle touch of warmth and shine.
- I consistently use the E40 - Tapered Blending brush to create a perfect eye contour. It is my go-to brush for that soft doe-eyed look.
- The Brush Cup Holder is a must whenever I travel to on-location shooting. Not only does it hold and protect my brushes, it looks professional on my set-up table.
- The E30 - Pencil brush is fabulous for detail work. I can use it for so many applications such as contouring the nose or intensifying eyeliner.
Sigma: Can you tell us a beauty mistake you’ve made but learned from?
Michelle: It's crucial that your client’s skin is prepped properly before makeup application. You will never achieve a radiant finish if the skin is dull and dehydrated, which is not a good mistake to make! My kit is filled with a multitude of skin care products, exfoliates, moisture serums, balancing mists, calming agents, etc. I am a walking apothecary!Sigma: How do you keep up with all the new [makeup] trends and styles?
Michelle: My sister, Francine Champagne, is president of Vision Model Management Los Angeles. She inspires me and keeps me on trend. Kelly Ripa and her stylist, Faith Cromas, are always ahead of the fashion curve so I really do get my inspiration from them every day.
I can spend hours on the internet researching different products and trends but most beneficial is the information I receive from beauty bloggers; their insight keeps it fresh and real.
Sigma: Speaking of trends, is there one in particular you’re looking forward to for spring 2013?
Michelle: I love the poppy red lip with a neutral or golden shimmer eye. You can't go wrong with a bright happy smile paired with soft, warm eyes.
Sigma: What makeup look do you always find yourself coming back to?
Michelle: I love the look of a soft smoky eye that is achieved by using shimmering browns. Then I pop the eyes with a few individual lashes to add a little drama and intensity.
Sigma: You can only use five beauty products for the rest of your life -- which would you choose?
1. An exfoliating scrub to keep my skin radiant.
2. Pure virgin coconut oil; I use this all-in-one nourisher to soften my skin and keep my hair shiny.
3. The Bare Eye Shadow Palette has a variety of neutral colors that I can use for brows, eye shadow and eyeliner…and if need be, contour as well!
4. A great mascara.
5. A lipstick that can serve double duty and work as a blush, too.